Thursday, February 21, 2013

Where is the best source to have a custom hardware device designed and built?

Q. I am looking for a resource or a tech shop to custom design and build a hardware device to my specifications with embedded Linux. Where is the best place to find a firm who designs custom hardware devices?

A. You can TRY this place. I don't know if they'll do you any good or not but it's a start:

http://www.directron.com/contact.html

I just called them, myself, to see if they offered the services you describe, but they're in Texas and it's 8:45 pm there right now!...and they're closed.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

How do I install python libraries?
Q. I have an embedded Linux device that is running an embedded version of python for it. The scripts I'm trying to run work great on my computer but wont run on the embedded Linux device. I looked into the matter further and found that two modules I am using, threading and signal, are not included in the embedded version of python. They are (I think) part of the standard python library. How can I get these modules and install them separately. I don't think I can put the standard python onto my embedded Linux device.

A. The module threading is a module located in the Lib directory (standard installation). You could try to place this file in corresponding location on your device. Signal is a built-in module. I suspect its platform-dependent and maybe not (yet?) implemented for your device. If your platform is windows CE for example, signal is not implement in the win CE version of python

Will a Linux operating system be difficult for somebody who used only Windows all life?
Q. Today I decided that I am officially tired with Windows and want to install Linux on my laptop. I read on a website all the pro and cons of each operating system ( Windows, OS, Linux) and discovered that Linux is the only one who had the pro list longer than the cons list. ( windows too vulnerable and Macs too pricey). In any case,in the Linux cons list it said that Linux should only be used by experienced computer users. I know my way around a computer but I cannot call myself and expert. Would it be difficult to transition from Windows to Linux if I am not a computer expert?

A. Welcome to the would of Linux based OSs!!

At one point or another most Linux users made that switch, and it can be difficult IF you try to use Linux (remember Linux is the kernel not the OS) like you use Windows. There is a learning curve that you must overcome. Things are just different, but not difficult. Years ago it was harder, but now, there are many distros (distributions) tailored to new users.

Since you already know the pros and cons, there is no need to discuss them. But when you start using Linux based OSs, you WILL be in "windows mode". This just takes time to overcome. Most people that tried Linux and said it was to hard, did not give themselves enough time to get out of "winblos mode".

When you install a Linux distro, you do not need antivirus, antimalware, firewalls, you do not need to defrag. You can install them if you like, but there is no real need unless it makes you feel better. If you stick to the repos (repositories - just to make it easier to explain - you can think of it like an app store that you use on your phone) you will be safe from malware.

Now the hardest part, at least for me, is to choose which distro. Go to distrowatch.com for info on hundreds of different distros.

Most distros are based on a few main distros. Here is an image to give you an idea how many forked from other distros:
http://files.cyberciti.biz/uploads/tips/2007/06/44218-linuxdistrotimeline-7.2.png

When I made the switch from winblows to Linux, here was my criteria:
1. made for beginners - you will have many problems if you jump to a distro made for experts
2. it must be a popular distro - the more people using it, the more help you will receive. you can ask on YA, in a linux forum, or people you know.
3 must look decent. I just don't like an ugly desktop.

Also, you can take almost any distro and add different desktop environments. You can think of the DE as the user interface. You can take Ubuntu, that ships with the Unity DE, and ad another, say KDE. But they do have this already, and called Kubuntu.

You can take Mint (which I recommend for new users) which you can choose form Cinnamon, GNOME, KDE, MATE, Xfce desktops. Or you can add others. Here is a gallery of some of the DEs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment#Gallery

So I would suggest to get an 8 or larger USB flash drive (or what ever you have) and use a program called YUMI to install as many different distros on that drive as it can hold. You choose which distro to boot into on start up. This way you can try out many different distros.

Also try out many of the different DEs. There is no way to know which one is right for you. since they are personal choice. I recommend the KDE since you are coming from winblows. It is pretty and (to me) easier to use. So I recommend Mint with KDE.

There are other made for beginners. If you decide to use Ubuntu make sure that you have a wired internet connection when you install. Ubuntu does not use closed source or proprietary software (it a FOSS thing). It will ask when you install if you want to use restricted software. Mint ships with this software and works better out of the box.

There are distros made for just about anything. If you have an older computer, there are distros for old computers. If this is the case I suggest to not use KDE but one made for older or slower computers. Like LXDE (You can download Mint with LXDE). There are distros for media production, scientists, educators, security, privacy, embedded, etc.... Heck, you can even put Linux on your router, mp3 player, tv, and other devices.

Here are some others:
http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Beginners



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment