Tuesday, February 5, 2013

What is the difference between Windows and Linux Servers?

Q. In not too technical terms - what is the difference between thse two? If I were to use .net nuke , is there a perference over which server I should use?

A. Wow! This is a question that pops up all over the web, and one that I had myself as a web services person. You can read a lot about the differences - as well as the advantages of one over the other. In the sources area, I've listed several such discussions and articles, including the last item which is a lengthy discussion in a Wikipedia article on the subject. In terms of finding something non-technical, I would recommend the first site.

The article from AskWebHosting.com states the following about using .net: "If you intend to create your site using ASP, FrontPage, the .NET environment, Windows Streaming Media, Access, MSSQL, or any of the other Microsoft proprietary technologies then you probably need to use a Windows host. There is limited support for a number of these technologies in Linux, but they can be expensive and are usually lacking in features."

But you're talking about using DotNetNuke, which is an open source answer to .NET. As such, it may not matter at all, from that standpoint, which option you choose.

I hope that these sources are helpful!

Librarians--Ask Us, We Answer!
This question was answered by Sarah Houghton-Jan, Web Services Librarian at Californiaâs San Mateo County Library (www.smcl.org). To get instant-answers, contact your local library. Find yours at http://lists.webjunction.org/libweb/Public_main.html. Many library websites offer live browser-based chat reference 24/7 (http://liswiki.org/wiki/List_of_libraries_providing_virtual_reference_services) and/or instant messaging chat reference (http://www.libsuccess.org/index.php?title=Libraries_Using_IM_Reference).

What is the common place to mount a network drive in linux.?
Q. I have a Ubuntu server that I hope to use to share files to my roommates using Samba. I know I can mount the drive anywhere and then share it but is there a common place that it shold be mounted?

A. With Ubuntu most drives (other than the obvious /, /boot, /home, etc.) are mounted under /media, but it really doesn't matter.

Playstation 3 as a Media Center Extender, how can it read my networked external hard drive?
Q. I use my PS3 as a media extender. However it only reads the pictures, music and movies in my documents in Vista Home Premium. I have a Network attached storage unit with Gigs of music, movies and pictures.How can I get my PS3 to read those files without having them stored locally on my computer. Or even if there is a unit that can do that. Thank you in advanced.

A. There are a couple of things you can do:
* Set up a UPnP (universal plug and play) server on your computer that will be detected by your PS3 (this is what I do)
* Move all those files to a USB Drive then plug that into your PS3 (this will remove the files from your computer but not take up all the space on your PS3, plus you can get cheap USB drives with lots of space (300GB+) now days)
* Look into getting a file server for both your PS3 and Computer. A small Linux box would work best for this and they have models on ThinkGeek.com



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment