Sunday, February 3, 2013

What is the command to know the linux version i am using?

Q. I am using a Linux server in command mode, i dont know which linux i am using ie whether it is Fedora Core 1,2,3 or Redh Hat linux Enterpirse or Linux 9.0 Version??

A. username@machine> uname -a
Linux test_machine1 2.4.21-4.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Oct 3 17:52:56 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

In this example, the Linux kernel version is 2.4.21-4.


To obtain the Linux glibc version, type the following at the shell command prompt:

username@machine> rpm -q glibc
glibc-2.3.2-95.3

Two alternative methods to obtain glibc version information:
username@machine> /lib/libc.so.6 | head -1
GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.2, by Roland McGrath et al.

username@machine> getconf GNU_LIBC_VERSION
glibc 2.3.2

If you are using a RedHat Linux distribution, you can find the RedHat release by typing:
usename@machine> cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)

Where do I find source code of linux commands?
Q. Linux commands like cp, dir, ls, shred, man (etc...) are nothing but programs (hopefully all written in C). I would really like to know exactly how they work (and make a few modifications to some) so I need their source code...
Can you tell me where to find source code of linux commands?
Thank you in advance!

A. In general there are several places you can go to get the source for these commands. This is mostly because there can be several different implementations of the commands.

1) The company who distributed your version of Linux. Most versions of these types of commands are under the GPL and as such the person or company who gave you the executable has to make a copy of the source code available to you. Usually these are released as source rpms, and some times come on one of the CDs or DVDs that you used to install Linux with. You can often find them on the web too.

For example the RHEL5 Server source rpm (SRPM) is
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/coreutils-5.97-12.1.el5.src.rpm

Most of the time your distribution will have a tool like yum to install these and other rpms for you.

2) www.gnu.org
GNU probably wrote the commands that are on your distribution of Linux, although a few very specialized distros use different implementations of the commands (Usually busybox http://www.busybox.net/ but this is really rare).

http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/
has instructions on how to download a very recent copy of the code, which may be much much newer then the version currently installed on your computer.

NOTE:

Some shells, like tcsh and csh have their own implementations of these commands built into them. This is because it is faster to run the command as part of your shell then to fork and exec a new command. So if you do change them be sure to check that you are actually running your updated version. BASH usually does not play these games but you can always check by running which followed by the name of your command.

What would it take to make you change from Windows to Linux?
Q. Personally I would switch tomorrow if all of the software I used was compatible with Linux.

I hope that with the average person coming out of school being more computer savy these days we will see more and more software developers releasing Linux versions.
I have tried Linux in the past and wasn't very fond of it, at that time I was not aware of all the different types available such as Red Hat and Ubuntu. There are versions out there easy to get to grips with and similar to Windows.

A. A direct port of Microsoft Office not a watered down version like they made for Mac. I have tried open office I don't like it.

More automation, I would like to be abe to double click an install file and have it install - I hate hate HATE using the Linux command terminal it is like pulling teeth.

A better IM client I think kMess and GAIM are crap - and a better music player I don't like amarok and WinAmp style media players I just don't like them and I won't 'get used to them over time'.

Did I mention how much I hate using the terminal?

Better games, Linux supports OpenGL and has tonnes of C++ compilers etc, there really is no excuse for not having better games.

Faster boot times, every version of Linux I have tried took ages to boot and my PC isn't exactly low spec, its got a Core 2 Duo @ 1.83ghz with 2 gigs of RAM it shouldn't take so long to boot.

And finally I really like to nosey around and change things when I muck up Windows its easy to restore, Linux isn't I want better recovery options for when theings do go wong because the always do.

I don't ask for much really.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment