Thursday, February 14, 2013

What is the best and easiest-to-manage Linux OS / POP / SMTP server for a novice Linux administrator?

Q. I am a novice Linux server admin (I can us SSH, vi, cron, and understand config files), but I am willing to learn. However, I do not have hundreds of hours to research and learn all the ins-and-outs of Linux. I need something fairly turnkey:

What is the best server software that will do all or most of the following:
- POP3 server
- SMTP server
- Webmail server (with good standard features, like WYSIWYG editor, attachments, etc.)
- Web-based end-user configuration tools
- Anti-virus
- Anti-spam (blacklists and whitelists & RBL support required, spam filtering logic a plus)
- Authentication data stored in a database for easy management.
- POP-before-SMTP authentication

Similarly, I need to pick the best Linux OS to run this puppy on. I would like an OS with a wizard install, and one with adequate security for a publicly accessible server.

Last of all, it would be great if all of the above would be freely available for commercial use.

Thanks for your help!

A. There is a fantastic tutorial on qmail at the links below. qmail is very secure and is widely used. Many developers have ported it to the application extensions you want to use, like WebMail, anti-virus and anti-spam.

This should at least get you started.

Good luck.

What is the budget version of the windows home server?
Q. same function but cheaper

A. According to Google the price ranges from $140-$180. The low price listed was from newegg.com I am talking about the software only here. If you don't have a PC to run it on your going to have to pay for that too.

A cheaper version of the same functionality would be a Linux distribution. There are some companies that offer a free implementation that does the many of the same things offered by the windows home server. But I suspect the windows home server offers wizards and other turnkey functionality that is often missing in a Linux solution.

After looking at the information provided I think you would still have to buy a URL and static IP address or else rent space on a dynamic URL dns as well as have permission to be using your access to run an internet server.

One of the Linux links claims that windows home server is nothing but a print and files sharing server. I believe that is wrong because when I read the fine print it refers to things that I interpreted to mean a web server was being made available on the internet.

Considering how expensive most Windows Servers are, this is a very low price (most Windows servers start at $500+)

Backup to a home network via Internet?
Q. Which NAS allows me to backup my laptop to my home hard drive via the internet?
For example, I travel to Europe and want to backup to my NAS which is at home in Asia. Is it possible to backup this way? If so which company is recommended?
Netgear, WD, Synology, QNAP, ...?

Thanks

A. Well it isn't so much a specific NAS tool as it is the ability for your ISP to allow incoming traffic of this kind. You might want to use something like FreeNAS or TurnKey Linux and then set up a VPN on your home network. When you are away, simply access your VPN and you will have access to your NAS just as if you never left your home network, plus VPN typically adds some privacy too.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment