Sunday, February 10, 2013

What's the difference between the cd and dvd versions of Knoppix?

Q. I want to use Knoppix, just to play around with linux a little. But I noticed there are two versions of it. CD and DVD. Obviously the DVD version is much, much, larger. Besides the obvious size difference, what separates the CD version from the DVD on.

A. the dvd version has more software,

knoppix is not really a good idea if you want to 'mess' with linux, you can access your normal system and delete thing that will make it useless,

best idea is install virtualbox

http://www.virtualbox.org/

then download and install one of the free distro's in a virtual machine, then you can 'mess' till you brake it, without breaking your host (normal) system

Any mac users out there upset with their machines?
Q. Obviously not a scientific study, but I want to know any stories about people who regret buying a mac. I've run Windows since I gave up on OS/2, and I've played with Linux, but I've never considered buying a mac until recently. Anybody sad that they bought a mac?

A. There are 2 desktops and 2 laptops in this house. One desktop runs Windows because I have one highly-specialized piece of software that'll only run on Windows. It only gets used when I need that bit of software. One laptop runs Windows solely because I haven't gotten around to installing Linux on it yet and so it lies fallow waiting for better days. The other desktop runs Linux (the second most used computer) and my most-used computer (this laptop, in fact) is an Apple. I love my Apple! I love my Linux box for different reasons, but after finally getting my hands on this MacBook Pro, I really don't want to use another computer. Ever. I'll always have Linux boxes around, but I'll also always have an Apple from here on in.

How to find what video file format a file is apart from the extension of the file itself?
Q. For example, I have an avi file....It plays in linux using SMPlayer front end...but the video does not play on Windows (VLC player)....the audio is heard though.
When you play the file in VLC Player, and press CTRL-I, it will show up the information and it will also show the encoding of the video file, for example: XVID, etc

A. I have been wondering about this myself, and have had very little luck finding a simple answer, if any at all. I myself have .avi files that when changed to the .mpeg extension somehow still play properly, yet cannot be burned using Nero, etc. as either one.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment