Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Linux Firewalls that can connect to a domain?

Q. Hi all (again)

Anybody know of a linux based firewall that has the ability to connect to an active directory domain controller to authenticate users?

I have a Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Domain controller...

Anybody know of a firewall that can do this

PS: Can't afford Smoothwall!

A. First question, why would a firewall (network device) need to authenticate against AD?
If trying to control users in the Firewall with AD , try maybe Radius. There are a few free versions out there.

PS Smoothwall is "free", as most Linux firewalls. What may not be free is add-ons or support...

How can I protect other machines on my Lan using virtual firewall appliance ?
Q. If I have a Windows machine with a virtual linux based firewall appliance inside of it, I know how to protect the host machine with the firewall. How do I protect the other machines on the LAN using the virtual appliance ? Would I only have to set the "Gateway" setting of the other machines to the address of the virtual machine ?

A. Yes, and set their firewalls to block anything not comming from the appliance.

I have activated a port for a office but have internet connection problems?
Q. Recently I have activate a port for a office room and i'm gettting internet connection but if i type something in search it gives me connect to office or offline. I'm currently running a linux firewall do i need to do some setting? or what should i do to fix it?

A. Make sure the port you specifies is not interfering with other services that is using the same port. You can also flush all the port to see which port is having problem. Also make sure your internet daemon is running.

You can always ping your router or any outside network to see if it has internet connection.

I hope this help.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment