Monday, February 18, 2013

Is it necessary for a physicist to master Linux OS?

Q. Hello everyboby! I have a question about computer operating system,that is: Is it necessary for a scientist to master Linux OS?

I mean physicist and astronomer, I've heard that physicists and astronomers usually use Linux/UNIX, not Microsoft Windows. Is it true? Lots of people say that Linux/UNIX is very difficult to use, I've tried Ubuntu Linux and found it's really hard to use.
Thank you!

A. It would take much more time, study, difficulty and definitely expensive schooling to become a Physicist than a become a Master of Linux. I became pretty proficient in using Linux after about 2 years of just being one of my hobbies. It didn't seem very difficult, just required some dedication to learn new ways to use computers. Linux knowledge is not required for my job, but it certainly has added to my abilities as a computer service and repair technician. It certainly would be useful to know Linux and a programming language like Python if you are going to do any physics or astronomy computer simulations. I have read many comments from Physicists on Slashdot.com, I don't know if it required, but it certainly sounds like a useful skill for them.

What is a good Linux OS that I can install on my windows 98 computer?
Q. Does anybody know a basic linux OS that i can burn to a CD and put onto my old computer?

A. I'm guessing this computer doesn't have alot of Memory since it runs Windows 98. Ubuntu is not a good choice if you have less then 256 MB of RAM Xubuntu will work good down to 128 MB. If you have less than that I would recommend Puppy Linux.

What is the BEST Linux OS to use in conjunction with Mac OS X Snow Leopard?
Q. I upgraded all our current computers to Windows 7 Professional OS, but I am thinking about purchasing a Mac computer and I love Linux. What Linux OS distribution would you recommend? Thank you in advance as I truly appreciate all your kindness and helpfulness. :-)

A. I can t believe all those Ubuntu fans lol Are you kidding Ubuntu???? Not for beginners, no mp3 support all open source software, no internet plugins, NOT for beginners, intalling fonts is a nightmare.

In all fairness i don't understand how one on the superb MAC Snow Leopard would like to use Linux.

I recommend paid linuxes Like Mandriva Power pack or Suse Linux entreprise Desktop,

if free then Mandriva, or Opensuse, there are many others.

Avoid Ubuntu unless you want to spend hours fixing things besides Ubuntu has a very limited range of supported application it is only a cd not a dvd.

Good luck

RICK



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment