Thursday, February 7, 2013

If I boot my computer from a linux live cd, how can I access the computer hdd to recover data?

Q. My computer quit, but before I reset the system, I need to get pictures, documents, and other data from it. I can boot up with a Linux Live CD, but am having trouble accessing the HDD. Any Ideas?

A. I am assuming when you say "access the HDD" you mean the files created under Windows?

If so, you can still get to them: remove the CD and it will boot up in Windows; then put the files you need on a flash drive, CD or external HDD.

Then reinsert the linux CD, boot up linux, and retrieve the files from the flash drive, etc.

PS, if you're using ubuntu, some great sites for questions/support are:
- http://ubuntuforums.org/
- http://www.ubuntu.com/support
-

Am I risking lossing my operating system by booting my laptop with a linux live cd?
Q. I have windows 7 on my laptop and it wont really start up, so im going to recover my data from it by using a linux live cd to boot it up. Is there any risk that ill lose my windows 7 in the process?

A. No. Booting Linux from a CD won't harm your windows (unless you deliberately format your hard drive and install Linux from the CD). It's a good way to recover your data, but you'll still have to fix or re-install Windows.

Can you use PHP and Mysql with a Linux Live CD?
Q. If you come back to Windows will all your PHP & Mysql settings gone? Do you have to reinstall everything again if you decide to use a second time the Linux Live CD?? I don't want to install Linux permanently o0n my sustem but I would like to work with the Lice CD without losing my work & setings. Is it possible?

A. Linux LiveCD's are run within the RAM of your PC so you cannot save you settings between LIVE sessions.

One possibility is having Ubuntu installed on a USB Pendrive


Ubuntu Live USB Pendrive Persistent
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

LUg.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment