Tuesday, February 5, 2013

How to install a proxy server on a Linux server and use it from my Windows computer?

Q. My Linux server is in the USA. I'm in Canada. I want to use my Linux server as a proxy to be "detected" as coming from the USA when I surf the web. Thank you for your help!
It would be nice to have a step-by-step how-to.

A. A very easy and non-permanent way to do this can be done using ssh. You could use cron to automate this so that it is always on, or on at certain times.

Check out this website for a very clear tutorial on how to do this.
http://embraceubuntu.com/2006/12/08/ssh-tunnel-socks-proxy-forwarding-secure-browsing/

How do I remotely execute Command Line commands from my laptop to a Linux Server?
Q. I am trying to download and install Icast 2 on a remote Linux server. I have rights to the server and can also FTP or access CPanel remotely, but want to remotely execute commands on the Linux Server to install and configure the Icecast and other software. THANKS!!!

A. I assume you are coming from a Windows Machine ? This Linux server most likely has SSH running opposed to Telnet so you need to setup a session using putty. You can also send files over ssh using a free app such as winSCP. Another option is to setup a vncsession on the server , and connect with a remote desktop session.

Download putty
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Download winSCP
http://winscp.net/eng/download.php

realvnc for Windows
http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/winvncviewer.html
first you ssh into the linux box, and type vncserver then from windows machine, connect to the display's ip and port num 1,2,3,etc.

What is the best online place to buy Linux server, and what the best server brand?
Q. I am Looking to buy Linux server online to be shipped to colocation in Atlanta, I need recommendation for the best company to by online.

A. a "linux server" is nothing more than an IBM compatible PC with Linux running as it's operating system.
Linux nowadays has drivers for most common hardware on the market, so as long as you stick with industry standard components (ASUS or INTEL motherboards, 3-com or d-link Ethernet, ATI or Matrox video, Creative labs sound card....you get the idea) You'll be fine. I just suggest you purchase the systems from a store that will pre-load the linux onto the units to your specifications so that if there are any issues, they can be solved before the unit is shipped.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment