Friday, February 8, 2013

How to install linux on an acer aspire 3500?

Q. I have an old acer aspire 3500, factory manufacturing no customization, that I want to convert to linux. The hard drive is partitioned into 2 equal parts that I'd like to have as one. LInks and how to's will be appreciated.
I've tried cuthbert's answer. Didn't work.
I've tried Anees Ravid khan's answer. DIdn't work.
On to the next.

A. I'm not sure what OS your installing, but usualling during install you can just say use entire disk. or try this.

1. Download Parted Magic:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/partedmagic/files/partedmagic/Parted%20Magic%205.7/
or the latest version here
http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads
2. Extract the iso from the .zip (if applicable, sometimes they didnt zip the iso)
3. Burn the iso to a dvd or cd (free CD/DVD suite link)
http://download.cnet.com/Ashampoo-Burning-Studio-Free/3000-2646_4-10776287.html
4. Boot Parted Magic, and open Gparted
5. Select the hard drive and choose create new partition table, and apply
6. Boot your linux install cd and choose your new empty drive

How do I remove Windows XP from my toshiba portege 2000 and restart with Linux?
Q. I need a little step by step. The Windows XP crashes upon start. I have made a Ubuntu boot disc. What steps do I need to take to erase the Windows and boot with ubuntu. It won't boot on its own. I even set the bios to start from the CD rom (iomega zip 650). OR is there any way to repair XP without paying Microsoft a ton of money. Personally, I just want to escape to DOS, delete windows altogether and boot from the CD if I can. But I can't get past the 'dead' Windows XP.

Thank you.

A. Since linux is fat 32 I would say, go to Best Buy and get a win me or win 98 startup floppy and use that to format. Just stick the floppy in and restart the computer. When it comes to a place in what you call as DOSS, there will be 4.....1,2,3,4 selections for win me and 1,2,3 for win 98. Pick #2 of the 4 or pick #1 of the 3 all for cdrom support. And then click "Enter" and let it go for its thing. In about 2-3 minutes, it'll be looking like this A:\......When it's like that type in fdisk.....then it will look like this.....A:\fdisk and click "Enter" When you get to the partition area, delete existing partition. and setup for fat32 Follow instructions there as you go. I'm not too talented to give complete directions there. When its all done it'll return to A:\......then you get to type in the format c: so it looks like this, A:\format c: and click enter. follow instructions and you'll be formatting in no time.

After reading more of your question, Its not winxp at fault, Its you powersupply or your videocard or both as it was for my computer. Or its hot and you may have to clean out the dust.

How do you boot linux from a flash drive?
Q. I am looking for the best linux os distro that could boot straight from my flash drive.

Something like knoppix but for flash.

Another question, with that, can you access the hard drive and store information? Like to fix a windows machine?

A. You can run this of CD, USB, and even in RAM
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

To intall to USB drive:
First, boot up your computer from the DSL livecd, frugal, or USB-frugal. Note that it is not possible to do a USB install, or any other kind of install from a DSL Embedded system.

In the Fluxbox menu, go Apps >> Tools >> Install to USB Pendrive and choose either USB-ZIP emulation or USB-HDD emulation, depending on what is supported by your computer's bios.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment