Tuesday, February 5, 2013

How is a linux distro actually made?

Q. I'm trying to make a custom distro with LFS (linux from scratch) and I was just wonder, if I was completely serious about developing my own distro to distribute, how would I do it?
I realize that they use C/C++ but I was wondering do they compile it like LFS or do they (IE Ubuntu) make it completely from scratch somehow?

A. c program language as the main

then python for the rest

How can I build a Linux Distro?
Q. I have downloaded the latest stable kernel. How can I make a linux distro from scratch? What do I need?

A. Linux From Scratch (LFS) is a project that provides you with step-by-step instructions for building your own custom Linux system, entirely from source code.
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Alternatively, you can easily customize your own Slax linux live right from your browser. If you are new to Linux you probably want to start with something like that.
http://www.slax.org/

Other Linux Distros
http://distrowatch.com/

What are the requirements to use Linux From Scratch?
Q. Do I need a linux os to run it?
Is there any third party software I need?
Is LFS a programming language?

What can I do to get the code if I were to base it off of Ubuntu?

A. To get started, all you need is a lot of free time. Go to linuxfromscratch.org and start reading the book and follow the instructions. The prerequisites are listed in there. It will also point to the downloads you need. LFS is not a programming language, it is just the book which lists how to install Linux entirely from sources.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment