Friday, February 22, 2013

How do you install tar.gz files in Tiny Core Linux?

Q. I am an experienced linux user and i know how to install tar.gz in other linux distributions such as ubuntu. I want to install some software that is in tar.gz format on tiny core, but I cant find a guide online. All I found is how to make extensions on tiny core wiki, but I just want to install it on my system, not make an extension for the app browser. How do I install tar.gz in Tiny Core?

A. Tar xzf pathtofile
Cd pathtofile
less README

What is the lighest(resources"Ram,Cpu" not OS size) linux distro while still having great performance?
Q. I am aiming towards Lubuntu because of being light on resources and fast computing and has a nice interface.
I am open for suggestions about light(resources) linux distro but not in favor of losing performance since performance is my top priority.

A. Lubuntu is good choice. There are even lighter distro like Siltaz, Tiny Core, Puppy, etc You don't need something like that unless you have a system 9 years old or more. I got a regular Ubuntu 10.10 to work nice on a P4 with 512 MB of ram after uninstalling a bunch of unneeded stuff like Compiz and bluetooth.

What's the advantage of running Linux in your RAM?
Q. The way I understood it, a tiny Linux distro like Puppy or Tiny Core still needs to boot from SOMEWHERE e.g. a CD, pen drive, hdd before it loads into RAM, right? And it'll also need a medium to save the changes you've made to the system on.
So why not use LESS RAM and have it boot from an internal medium like a hdd or flash where anything else can be saved as well?

A. there are many use cases for running in ram or a "live" distro. your hdd or os went kaput and you want to try to mount it to save any data. you have no need to save data such as a linux-based firewall appliance like pfsense. you want to test a distro first before committing and installing. you want to run memtest. as you can see running in ram means you're not modifying the existing system's os.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment