Thursday, February 14, 2013

How do you install softwares downloaded from other sites to Linux (Ubuntu)?

Q. Pls tell me in detail, step by step, as I have downloaded .tar & .tar.gz files on my ubuntu linux desktop. I am new to linux and i only know that I have to open terminal and type the codes. Tell me how to open, how to install and where to install.

A. save yourself a lot of hassles and use the package manager. Linux doesn't install software in the same way as windows. With windows,you just download the file and its all there. Run the setup executable and it installs. easy. With linux, there's the software (tar.gz etc) that you've downloaded and then there may be up to 5, 10, + packages that need to be installed so that the file can run. These include libraries, programming languages, etc. You also have to make sure you obtain the correct version of each dependency. It can be a real pain in the butt.

The package manager makes all the calculations for you. You just tell it what you want to install and it gets all the dependencies and sets them all up for you. Ubuntu has a great range of packages already available. Only go the downloading and installing non .deb files if you really have no alternative or if you can see that the dependencies required are either already installed or easy to obtain.

How to get wireless Internet on Linux ?
Q. So I just installed Linux and erased windows vista and all my files with it. Now I'm at my linux desktop and can't connect to my wifi network. When I go to the networks icon over the wireless option it cant be selected and says "device not ready (firmware missing). I've looked through the software center for drivers but I can't install them because the only button says "use this source" and when clicked does nothing.
So if someone could help me get on the Internet on it.

A. Missing firmware is typical of broadcom 43XX chipsets, but there are ways to get it.

The following page may be of use to you.

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

How do I only allow a web browser to come up when booting my linux computer? No taskbar, just browser?
Q. I would like to put together a linux desktop for my grandparents - and figure if I can have the system boot only to a web browser like mozilla it would make it a lot more friendly for them since they wouldn't have a bunch of other things on the screen. That way they can get to their email and check their stocks. Is there a simple way to do this with KDE or Gnome? Thanks!!

A. You want to set your default startup runlevel to, instead of starting up a login process, start up a shell as a particular user (your grandparents' userid). Their shell initialization script should start up X, and then respawn or shutdown when X exits. Their initialization script for X can then start up selected processes (such as web browser), and you can configure their desktop so that the display is bare bones, with no taskbars visible.

The link below gives an introduction to Linux runlevels (i.e. - the startup process Linux goes through) and should be helpful.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment