Tuesday, February 5, 2013

How do I edit a text using linux command line mode?

Q. I need to edit a text file but I dont know how do you do it using linux in command line mode.

Thanks!

A. pico or nano are good choices for a novice. emacs or vi for an expert

What are the different syntax used in Linux and Windows command line interface?
Q. What are the different syntax used in Linux and Windows command line interface?

A. The Windows one is based on MS-DOS the Linux one is based on UNIX. There's tonnes of differences.

So you do 'ls' instead of 'dir'. 'cd' works the same but uses '/' in Linux and '/' in Windows. There's tonnes of other differences.

All MS-DOS commands are here: http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm

Linux ones are here: http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/

How do I run a web browser from linux command line?
Q. I an VERY new to linux. I have installed Fedora 5 in text mode. I have a Linux book and am trying to slowly learn linux. So from the console, or command line, how do I run a web browser. Also how do I run the X Windows System?

A. If you installed in text mode, maybe you didn't install X. You probably have a text mode browser. Try lynx or elinks. If the startx command doesn't work, try "yum install x-window-system". By the way, Fedora 5 is old. The current version of Fedora is 9.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment