Sunday, February 10, 2013

How can I install Linux fedora 4 on a computer with out using Virtual PC?

Q. I want to install linux fedora 4 on my computer to make it a server. But i want to do it so that it will run of the harddrive becaause i have a spare 250 gb that i want to use. So how can i put it on the computer itself instead of Virtual PC

A. You could repartition your hard disk, overwrite whatever existing system you have, or install a second hard disk.

Which ever you choose - get a more up to date version then Fedora 4, which is ancient. Go for Fedora 9 instead.

How to preserve "My Documents" while migrating from XP to Linux (Fedora)?
Q. Hi,

I want to get rid of Microsoft XP and install Fedora on my PC.
Is it possible to install LInux (Fedora) on my PC, preserve the contents of My Documents, and not make a backup somewhere out of the hard disk, where I am making the installation?

A. Hi, if you want to backup the files without using another harddrive then I would suggest partitioning your Harddrive before you install Linux.

Go to Start>Run and type "diskmgmt.msc" in the run command. Press Ok and a new window should open. In Disk Management right click the drive you want to partition (usually the C: drive), select "Shrink Volume..." and then enter the amount of space you want to partition in the new window. Make sure it is enough space to copy all your files to. Select "Ok" and a new partition will be created.

Then copy all your files to the new partition, install Linux over the partition where XP is installed, then move all your files from the new partition onto the partition where you replaced XP with Linux, and once all the files are moved back into Linux you can use "parted" or whatever disk partitioning software Linux has to delete the new partition.

As you can see this might be easier if you buy an external drive instead.

Can Linux Fedora 17 run on an old laptop?
Q. I have a laptop with an Intel Celeron M 1.4 GHz processor and 256 MB of RAM. How well can Linux Fedora 17 run on that? I checked the release notes but could not find anything definitive.

A. Try one of the Fedora spins with a lighter-weight desktop.



Nec Projector Review

Plastic Shed Reviews

Ati Graphic Reviews

Nurse Uniforms Reviews

Cabochons Reviews

Inflatable Water Slides Reviews

Barcode Scanner Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment